Monday, March 2, 2009

Faith, Worship, and Exercise...


I'm reading this book called A Long Obedience in the Same Direction, by Eugene Peterson. There is a paragraph I read recently that I'd like to share. It's very simplistic really, but I just love how he puts it in this book. He is speaking of worship, and why Christians do it, or don't do it.

"I have put great emphasis on the fact that Christians worship because they want to, not because they are forced to. But I have never said that we worship because we feel like it. Feelings are great liars. If Christians worshiped only when they felt like it, there would be precious little worship. Feelings are unreliable in matters of faith.........We live in what one writer has called the "age of sensation." We think that if we don't feel something there can be no authenticity in doing it. But the wisdom of God says something different: that we can act ourselves into a new way of feeling much quicker than we can feel ourselves into a new way of acting. Worship is an act that develops feelings for God, not a feeling for God that is expressed in the act of worship. When we obey the command to praise God in worship, our deep, essential need to be in relationship with God is nurtured."

I know for myself, especially lately, I have not felt like going to church, but the act of doing it, makes me want to do it more. It makes me want more of God. Sometimes, I don't feel like getting my Bible out first thing in the morning to read and journal, but when I do, I am so glad. Sometimes I just can't stop reading. It makes me want more. If I were to listen to my feelings, over what I know is better than feelings, I'd miss so much. So for me, this authors words are true.

I was also thinking of how this concept of acts over feelings can apply to other areas of my life. For instance, I am part of a weightloss/healthy lifestyle accountability blog where a few ladies and I daily try to encourage each other to make healthy choices with our food and with exercise. Regularly my response to myself regarding walking on my treadmill or doing my exercise dvd is, "I just don't feel like it right now. I'll do it later." (in hopes of feeling like it then) Along with a million other "feelings" based excuses. This week I propose to make a better effort to "act myself into a new way of feeling" toward exercise based on the faith that it is best for me, rather than based on what I feel at any given moment, which is NEVER, "Oh, this is going to be fun, because I know how good this is going to be for me!", but rather, "Ugh! I just can't do this right now, I don't FEEL like it." And food choices.."I don't feel like eating salad or veggies today. I'll eat this pizza and tomorrow maybe I'll "feel" like eating healthier" See what I mean?

So, I challenge you all my friends, if you have areas of your life that need to be changed, whatever they may be, whether health related, or addictions, or attitudes, or time with God, or service to God's people, or money, or responsibilities, or whatever it is, I challenge you to "ACT yourself into a NEW way of FEELING", toward that thing. As God's word proclaims, With men this is impossible; but with God ALL things are possible. Matthew 19:26

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so, so true Jennifer. Thank you for sharing it! It's so easy to go by our feelings. I love the idea of acting yourself into a new way of feeling!

Anonymous said...

J,
I can't believe you didn't think anyone would understand what you were trying to get across. I for one know first hand that you were used by God in my life this very morning. You are such a blessing in my life and I can't imagine what I would do without you. I can not count the times you have shared words of encouragement and wisdom that have redirected my "negative" thoughts back to Him who cares for me. You would be a wonderful blessing to everyone if you would share all that encouragement with everyone each day on this blog. Just pretend I'm the one you are talking to and you would never run out of things to say. I'm glad the book wasn't a lemon. Love you, M

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a neat concept. Not only in Worship but also in the things that we use our feelings as a crutch not to do them..........I am with you, thanks for the encouragement. I will be getting back on my treadmill as soon as I can. (Pain or not...I must act myself the way I should and then watch my feelings change) Love ya,
Lynda

Anonymous said...

Also I have the book and will pull it off the shelf soon! I've started to read it more than once, maybe now is the right time?

Anonymous said...

This is so true...I preach this message to myself constantly. Thanks for sharing it Jennifer.

Anonymous said...

Great blog topic, thanks for sharing. Paul said that he "died daily". He had to crucify the wants of the flesh everyday and do what the Lord was asking him to do. He had to ignore his human "feelings" and act according to what he knew the Lord expected of him.
It makes me think of all the modern songs about following your heart etc. The doctrine of man and the motto of our age is to do what FEELS good. We need to be teaching our kids to "act" what is right. And, to find out what is right we have to look in God's word. They sure won't hear that message in our society today. Good character is not "cool".
Thanks for the thoughts, it really blessed me to think on these things. It reminded of one of the reasons I homeschool. To have this precious time to influence character before they are grown and facing a mean world.
I hope it will also inspire me to do something that I have been putting of WAAAAAAAY too long. It is going to hurt and be inconvenient. But, it is RIGHT. Now, I will hear your words and be ashamed if I continue to ingnore it. THANKS!! No, really, thanks!!