Monday, August 13, 2012

The Countdown Begins

(written 8/9/2012) Three weeks and one day....when do we stop counting the days without Truitt?  It is just such a strange new life with him missing from it.  I know he isn't missing really.  It's just so hard to get used to the way things are now.  So many things have changed, yet so much will never change.  When speaking of my family do I still say "I have three wonderful grandsons", and have to explain that one is in Heaven, or do I just say " I have two wonderful grandsons", and just leave it there, knowing in my heart that I really will always have three.  Maybe I should say I have two grandsons on earth and one in Heaven.  None of it sounds "natural", but all of it is true.
  
Breylon is only 3-1/2. I wonder how much he will remember.  He misses Truitt so much.  The first week he cried for him at night.  He said he hated Jesus for taking him away. I guess it was a mistake to try and explain to him that his brother and best friend was not coming home...ever...because Jesus wanted him to live with him in Heaven, especially when he doesn't really have a knowledge of who Jesus is.  I wish I'd have thought that through better now, but what's done is done. I pray that as he grows Jesus will reveal Himself to Breylon and bring him peace and understanding where we have failed to do so. 

Only Breylon and God really know exactly what transpired on that fateful day. Knowing won't change anything, but for me, it could help to understand what Breylon is seeing in his mind, and what he is dealing with. However, I am trusting God to see Breylon through this just as He is the rest of us.

I am learning, as I've been learning for decades, that God doesn't want us to figure it all out. He doesn't want us to know the future, or every detail of His plan for our lives. If we knew what He knows then we might decide to try to bypass some of the harder stuff, like the death of a child, and in doing so placing ourselves outside of His will for our lives, and the blessings He has in store for us.  You might be asking "how can something this tragic and sad be a blessing?". I don't know yet.  All I know is I am choosing to trust Him, and I am holding him to His promises.  Romans 8:28 "For we KNOW that God works ALL things together for good, for those who love Him, AND are called according to HIS purpose."

We may never know why God allowed this to happen,  why He chose not to answer our prayers for a miracle.  Maybe it is for Breylon, maybe for Lacy, or Cody, or me, or someone else, or maybe it was to spare Truitt of some horrible event that was impending in his future, something worse than this. It's ok that I don't know. Because knowing would take away my need to seek God, my drive to search His heart so intently, and isn't that what pleases Him most, His children seeking Him and desiring to know His heart?  I mean He made David king after stating that he was "a man after mine own heart, who shall fulfill all my will".  And in Matthew 6:33, He promises, "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." to me, "all these things" means everything I could ever need, whether physical or spiritual or emotional or material, anything that I might have need for, will be added unto me. Right now I need peace, and He graciously gives me peace. I thank the Lord for loving my family and for carrying us through this storm in our lives.  I pray that all of my family, all of my children, can recognize His hand and experience His peace as I am learning to do.

9 comments:

Kari said...

I know it must not have been easy walking through the words as you were writing, but thank you for sharing your heart. Thank you for allowing God to use you to encourage and be an example to someone like me! :-)

J.Baker said...

Thank you Kari. It is very therapeutic for me to write my thoughts down, and it helps that someone cares enough to read and respond. Everyone will probably get tired of hearing about this long before I write my way through it, but that's ok with me. Maybe it will help someone sometime. That would just be a bonus blessing. ;)

Anonymous said...

As always your words are thoughtful, encouraging and full of hope. Melissa

Anonymous said...

My heart breaks for the whole family as y'all go through this but I am so glad you have a firm foundation to see you through! Praying always, Kendra ps thank you so much for sharing! I know it's theraputic to Write it down but it is also so teaching for me! I know it is helping me draw cliser to God too!

Julie said...

Because things have been so busy these last few weeks, I'm late in responding. Computer time has been very limited, sorry.

I'm glad to see you writing. Therapeutic it is to take the mumbled thoughts in our head and then begin to sort them out through the keyboard. Often after I write, I go back and read what was typed. It is then that I realize maybe my thoughts do make sense once in a while!

Even if they don't, however, the important thing is to keep letting those thoughts out. Whether talking or writing, the grieving and healing happens when we let it out, rather than keep it in.

Thankfully, we all have each other! I look at those who have commented on your page already and see Brenda, Kari, and Kendra. There's also Melissa and Shara. (waving "hi" to everyone :) How many times have we all seen tragedy in each other's lives?! Over and over, we all have had the opportunity to serve one another through thick and thin. I'm so grateful to know each of you and for the times we all have had.

Jen-Jen, we are all here standing with you and your family. Love you bunches and bunches!

Andrea said...

Jennifer, you are an amazing writer. I strongly believe you should publish a book and keep on writing. You would help so many struggling parents and grandparents who deal with the same issue. And it is so healing......

Mom said...

Thank you LORD for my lovely and loving daughter. How blessed I am!!

J.Baker said...

You're sweet Mom.

Michelle said...

Absolutely beautiful. Your love for your 3 grandsons, your love for your daughter and family. Your love for Christ and your obedience to him. Thank you so much for sharing your deepest thoughts and feelings. You are without a doubt ministering to others through this tragedy. And God is without a doubt in control. I praise him for the friend I have in you and I praise Him for what he is doing in your lives and the the lives of all who know you. Keep close to him and keep sharing the wisdom he is bringing you. We all need it. I love you.